View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #116
Doc

I shoot the Model 29 with 6 inch barrel. I have always followed Elmer Keith's advice and I shoot his 250 grain plain base hard cast lead bullet. I also put a heavy crimp on the bullet so as to assure proper ignition. I use standard CCI primers and 2400 powder. The case lasts a long time. After about 30-35 shots from one case the neck starts to crack and some have loose primer pockets. I don't bother with annealing the cases. I have shot many more than a thousand rounds through this revolver. I use .44 Special cases almost exclusively. My loads chronograph at 1,200 fps. I have killed elk, deer and antelope with this load all with one shot and at ranges under 100 yards.

The Model 29, S & W, .44 mag. is the best revolver ever made, in my opinion.

I have also killed elk, deer and antelope with my Model 27, S & W, .357 mag, again all under 100 yards.

While I'm talking about good handguns, the best semi-automatic ever made, in my opinion, is the Colt's Gold Cup, National Match, Series 70 1911-A1 in .45 ACP.

Pistol shooting is easy, just don't flinch. That a way, for you Southrons, the bullet goes exactly where it's pointed. My good friend, Sanders, knows.

Ad Clark, one of the world's great pistol shooters, won my professional NSL pistol match shooting a Model 29, S&W, .44 mag with full go loads.

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote