View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #36
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czubek View Post
Is your stove set up for that, or do you have to clean it a lot? We burn all hardwoods, with oak being at the top of the list.

Brian
Last year, all I had was pretty much green pine. I had to clean the chimney every 2 weeks. It would take me 15-20 minutes to climb up on the roof, pull the cap off and run the brush down it 4-5 times, then clean the cap with a wire brush. No big deal. In fact, if it was windy, it worked out better because the soot was drawn away from my face.

Or, I could buy hardwoods - oak goes for $240/cord and cedar (not quite a hardwood - call it a harder wood) goes for $180/cord.

I'll just burn pine at $10-$20/cord and my labor and keep the chimney clean.

I keep hoping to get a season or two ahead on my woodcutting, but cutting on Forest Service land keeps getting postponed due to fire danger/rain/drought/whateverotherexcusetheycanthinkoftokeepcitizensout oftheirforest

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote