View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Sanders

pirate Finding a real barber is getting harder and harder

I like a barbershop haircut. Not one of those "hairdresser" places.

When I was younger, I used to go to the hairdresser when I wanted a boob in my face, but now all I see working them are tatted up fatties.

No, give me a real barbershop experience.

A shop with men's magazines in the rack. Leather chairs. Pictures of the Little League teams they sponsor and other manly decor and other men sitting around shooting the shit, waiting their turn. The barbershop used to be the best place to learn what was going on in the community.

Sit down in a big, heavy Koken barber chair. Regular haircut, tapered sides and back and above the ears. Listen to the buzz of the clippers as he thins the hair out, then some scissors to get the strays. Then trim the eyebrows back, which grow faster than anything else on me, lately.

Then he finishes it off with a neck shave using hot lather and a straight razor followed by a splash of Clubman's.

Now days, most barber shops are glorified "salons". They have cheap, flimsy chairs that feel like they are going to fall over when you sit down in them. They have a couple TV's going, the sound turned up so high you can't hear yourself think, let alone hold a conversation or eavesdrop on one. You might be lucky if they have something besides "Cosmo" or "O" or some other chick magazine to read. The last place I went for a haircut had what appeared to be a teenaged kid getting a haircut sitting across from me. When the haircutter (I don't call them barbers) finished up with him and took the sheet off, the "boy" stood up and had some huge tits. So, yeah, I don't care for the places that attract the butch lesbos, either.

The haircutters are no longer Veterans, who served in WW2 or Korea or Vietnam. They look more like they just got out of prison and are covered in prison tattoos. You have to explain what "tapered" means (apparently it is called a "fade"). Many of them have no idea what a pair of scissors are, and forget about a neck shave. Clubman's? They never heard of it.

My last barber said his wife was forcing him to retire - at 80 yrs old.

Lucky for me, I found a new barber today, in an old-style barbershop downtown. Life is good again.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote