View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Gung-Ho
Confederate

I'm glad you liked it. It sure did bring a rush of old memories back for me. - I'm just glad that my dad and I for the most part always got along.

You know when I was younger I looked at my dads metals often. But he didn't care about them, and they were kept in an old box in the basement. I distinctly remember the Silver Star, as it looked like the Bronze Star, but it had a little silver star in the middle of it. - Those original medals along with all his censored war letters to my mom, either got lost or stolen when the family moved to Florida. I still had my dads DD214, and I wrote a letter to my congressman at the time, including a copy of it, and all the other documentation I could find, and asked if the medals could be replaced. About a year later, I received ALL of my dads medals and decorations EXCEPT the Silver Star. You see, it did not appear on the DD214, as it was I guess still being processed when he got out. And I was told that all his records had been lost in a government warehouse fire....so, that was that.