View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
WWes
Dud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbuggy View Post
I need a roof rack for my Kia Soul. Some of my poles are longer than my car.
Pickup truck! It's as good an excuse as any...

My one-piece rigs run 5'6 to 7'10, difficult in a car or CJ but they travel well in the truck. The 5'6 goes anywhere, Heavy Action Big Water Ugly Stik with an Abu 6000. I've strapped it to bikes. If you need a real rig that can go anywhere, I highly recommend it.

BWC 112056, in retrospect I'd have gone with the 6' but I think it's discontinued. It works on the riverbank but it really shines in a small boat. Sturdy as hell, fits in any car. It's thick, I wouldn't use it for subtle bites, it's a clicker rod. Mine's about 20 years old, price is the same. Mine needs a new Fugi tip-top from being stepped on, I fish it as it is for now but I don't want to waste time and money on a cheap tip replacement.

2' makes a difference and other than boat rods and stand-ups there aren't many heavy rated fast action "shorty" rods out there. Personal best with this was a 10+ channel and 15+ flathead to date. It could handle a lot more. It's my "lucky rig", I usually run 25# Big Game or 36# Dacron with the 6000. Both work well.

7' Shakespeare Tigers travel well too, more flexible than the 5'6 at the tip. I just ordered one with a Penn 309 to run 50# Big Game mono. The reel is slow and crude but I learned how to cast on a 209....I'll be under $135 spooled on toys that will last beyond me. Could be the best purchase I ever make? That's fishing.
WWes is offline   Reply With Quote