View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Pogo
Mystic Knight of the Sea

Sanders, you are a big guy. You might ask him if you could try it out before buying it. That looks like it would be too small for you.

As mentioned by Stoned_Oli, it depends on what kind of water you will be in and what you want to do.

I don't do whitewater kayaking so I prefer a larger kayak. I have a 12' and a 14' Pungo by Wilderness Systems. They are a little wider and are very stable. They are good for fishing out of. They have a slight keel which makes it better for large open bodies of water. If you are going to be kayaking
in shallow creeks, you are better off without a keel.

My wife used a 12' Carolina by Perception. We liked going out into Lake Michigan and Lake Superior on days when there was little wind. I have an 18' wooden kayak which is sleeker and made for open water.
I've had it out on Lake Superior when there was a brisk wind. It handled well in that situation. I've also had it out in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.

If you are older and not real flexible, you might want to think about getting one with a large cockpit. It makes it a lot easier to get in and out. And a
sit on top is even easier to get on and off. I like large cockpits myself. My wood kayak does have a small cockpit which makes it nice for using a full skirt when in big water.

Here 14' Pungo

3 by John Danley, on Flickr

Kayak on Cart by John Danley, on Flickr

And my 12' Pungo

Pungo with rod holder by John Danley, on Flickr

And my blue 12' Pungo that I bought for my grandkids. This is my friend in it now.

5 by John Danley, on Flickr

And my 18' wood kayak. Notice the small cockpit.

This is where I store most of my kayaks.

And this is my son taking the grankids kayaking. He's using my kayak trailor.