View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #42
Sanders

Having fun and shooting cans and reactive targets takes the tediousness out of shooting, especially if you have a new shooter with you who may not have a serious mindset. Hitting small targets trains the fundamentals without them realizing it.

Even the clang of a steel target is more rewarding to the senses than a hole punched through a bullseye sometimes. I hate to quote movies for marksmanship training, but "aim small, miss small" is good advice. Shooting cans is giving yourself a small target without obviously doing so. You hit, it moves. You miss, it doesn't. You learn you can hit underneath it to bounce it. If you can do follow up shots before it quits moving, you are learning speed.

As long as one gets the basic fundamentals down, there's no reason to not have fun on a private range or out in the woods as long as it's done safely.

In my house, we recycle tin cans. They get rinsed out, let to air dry, then go into my can bag for the next trip out shooting. Cans that can be drained with a couple holes get filled with water at the range so they'll explode when hit with a rifle round.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote