Thread: Skillet ribs
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Oh come on baboon, that's just an excuse not to cook, it can't be any more humid than South Florida and we have bugs and bugs. I always have 3 tanks of gas filled up and a couple of bags of charcoal, I use either one, wait for the lighter fluid to evaporate before you put anything on the grill.
I haven't used lighter fluid in years. I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Ra...SIN=B000WEOQV8

When the charcoal gets a little "frosty" on the top briquets, it is time to dump them in the grill.

I have a few "tools" for cooking meat. A combo gas/charcoal/offset smoker grill serves very well. Then I have also had great success with the Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) that I built earlier this year. Hard to believe it can maintain a steady 200-250 degree smoke for as long as I've needed it to without messing with it. I will smoke a big brisket on July 4th, so that will be the big test. So far, I have smoked a Boston butt for pulled pork and some racks of ribs with great success.

My father-in-law bought a 5 burner gas grill and I'm the only one who uses it at his house. He also got some grill grates for it, which work grate (pun intended) for keeping the fire from flaring up and overcooking the meat. It is very difficult to maintain a low temp on that grill, though. Last weekend I cooked a NY strip roast on it. You cook that roast like a prime rib - to rare.

If I hadn't had a temp probe stuck in the meat to tell me when the internal temp was right, I would have over cooked it. Added some mesquite chips to a smoker box, and it gave the meat just a hint of smokiness.

"The truly dangerous man dresses inconspicuously and is soft- spoken. He walks away from most confrontations. The only time you learn that the truly dangerous man is mad at you is a split second before you die, for he never fights. He only kills. The truly dangerous man knows that fighting is what children do and killing is what men do." - Charley Reese 1986
Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote