DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC

DIRTYDOZENSBUNKER, LLC (http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/index.php)
-   Hunting (http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=272)
-   -   2011 Hunts (http://www.dirtydozensbunker.com/showthread.php?t=82559)

Desert Rat 04-18-2011 07:50 AM

2011 Hunts

Who plans on hunting what this year? When? Where?

Rick in NY 04-18-2011 08:46 AM

Chucks all spring/summer/fall as I see them.
Crows too.
Whitetail this fall.
Squirrels and coyotes as soon as the season gets here.

Saving my pennies for a trip up in to Canada for a caribou hunt with my FIL and some friends. We're hoping to go fall of 2012.

ErikD 04-18-2011 08:48 AM

For me it'll be the usual stuff around home. The birds we hunt in the forest start in september, and moose in october. Before that though, I will do my best to trap and kill as many fox as possible. I've been invited to visit some friends abroad for some other stuff including buffalo in northern Australia, which wouldn't cost more than the airfare, but I will have to put that on hold for another year or so.

10 Bears 04-18-2011 09:31 AM

Reckon I'll just keep hunting the local Magpies and Crows.
They seem to multiply, when I let off.

Hunter07 04-18-2011 09:39 AM

Because of my job, I haven't done much hunting over the past 5 years or so (fall is our busiest time of year).

I'm going to try to get out more this year though.

My cousin said that I can come out to his ranch near Valentine NE and do some antelope hunting, so I'd like to give that a try. IIRC, he said the season for that is late Aug/early Sept.

White tail deer in Nov. Will hunt them locally.

Ring necked pheasant starting sometime around mid Oct and heard this year, the season will go through 'til the beginning of Feb. (in southern MN).

Sanders 04-18-2011 12:45 PM

Muzzleloader mule deer and cow elk if I get drawn.

Quail and dove in their seasons.

Coyote, when the opportunity presents itself.

baboon 04-18-2011 04:09 PM

Nothing planned, open to invites.:D

Desert Rat 04-18-2011 04:17 PM

Erik, do you ever "call fox" or just trap them. I've had some wild and wooly times "calling fox" and I got damn good at it.

Ditto for you, Rick. Do you call your coyotes and if so how? Or do you just take targets of opportunity?

RetVet 04-18-2011 05:05 PM

Deer/squirrel.

Long pork if things collapse.

10 Bears 04-18-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 683177)
Erik, do you ever "call fox" or just trap them. I've had some wild and wooly times "calling fox" and I got damn good at it.

Ditto for you, Rick. Do you call your coyotes and if so how? Or do you just take targets of opportunity?

Used to go with a brother-in-law to call coyotes.
We were trying to get oine to come in decent range one day.
Seriously concentrating, on that suspicious critter.
All of a sudden, from over the top of the sagebrush, into our little hide away clearing, Mr. Bobcat landed, instantly realized it wasn't a crippled rabbit and bounded out, over the brush on the other side.

It happened so quick that we both just stared at the exit area, then looked at each other, with open eyes, "WOW!" was just about all that came out.

That experience was one we shared the tale of, with others, for many a year.

Don't know about the coyote, didn't really care, after that! :D

Sanders 04-18-2011 06:12 PM

I found my old coyote call the other day. It doesn't have any finish left on it, and feels like it will leave splinters in my lips, but it still makes noise. highfive

Desert Rat 04-18-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Bears (Post 683215)
Used to go with a brother-in-law to call coyotes.
We were trying to get oine to come in decent range one day.
Seriously concentrating, on that suspicious critter.
All of a sudden, from over the top of the sagebrush, into our little hide away clearing, Mr. Bobcat landed, instantly realized it wasn't a crippled rabbit and bounded out, over the brush on the other side.

It happened so quick that we both just stared at the exit area, then looked at each other, with open eyes, "WOW!" was just about all that came out.

That experience was one we shared the tale of, with others, for many a year.

Don't know about the coyote, didn't really care, after that! :D

10B, I know of a couple guys who have called fox into their laps and been bitten.

Boris 04-18-2011 10:01 PM

Whitetail deer in november,some squirell in september,,I don't small game hunt in october (bow season),maybe some bird hunting ,another thread has really got me thinking I have to try it

cdhknives 04-18-2011 10:48 PM

Another year, another new state...Wyoming this year. Second season pronghorn near Laramie if the draw odds work for me. That's my big trip. Maybe I'll take some varmint ammo and try prairie dogs too.

If I get invites from vendors and such I'll add dove and whitetail to the mix, plus whatever comes from the usual dozen draws with TP&W.

Mostly I hunt paper...and fish. :thumbsup:

Desert Rat 04-19-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdhknives (Post 683311)
Another year, another new state...Wyoming this year. Second season pronghorn near Laramie if the draw odds work for me. That's my big trip. Maybe I'll take some varmint ammo and try prairie dogs too.

If I get invites from vendors and such I'll add dove and whitetail to the mix, plus whatever comes from the usual dozen draws with TP&W.

Mostly I hunt paper...and fish. :thumbsup:

Laramie is pretty good area for Wyoming antelope, although the devils seem to everywhere except up in the mountains. But be warned, Wyoming is a state where a guy can severely strain his rifle barrel on long shots. nono Huge areas where you can see forever...and so can the antelope. :eek: They LOVE open space with maybe a spatter of low rolling hills.

I've got some aerial pic's I took of good sized antelope herds many miles west of Rock Springs where the country looks like it wouldn't support a population of lizards. :confused:

Anyhow I'm eager to follow your adventures up there. :thumbsup:

Do you have a ranch to hunt on or just gonna chance it on public lands?